Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Bitter Gourd

I used to dislike this vegetable in my childhood. I always wondered how something can be that bitter and edible! But as I grew older, I started to develop a taste for it. One reason may be my mother's cooking. She used to make a stir fry with potatoes and boy did it taste great.
There are several varieties of this vegetable. But this one is my favorite, especially when it is done in a mustard base sauce!
As a child, I was bitten by a dog. As soon as my grandmother learnd about it, the first thing she did was to snatch few bitter gourd leaves, rolled them between her palms and wiped the bite mark with it. I am not sure if it had any impact or not, but there are anecdotal report of bitter gourd juice having anti-bacterial properties.

No comments:

Post a Comment