Tuesday, March 12, 2013

My Village

Google Latadeipur, Orissa, India and you will find something about this village of about 1100 people. This is the village where I spent many summer vacations and winter holidays. With nostalgia, I often wish to repeat some of those experiences. However, at times I am also made aware of some of the harsh realities.

This is an attempt to seek and implement sustainable practices to improve quality of life at the village without turning it into a town. The natural beauty, the solitude around the river, and the sound of birds at a distance still rings in my ears. No, I do not want to alter these with technology and transportation. Yet, all of these should not be enjoyed at the expense of a poor quality of life in this village.

At times it seems like no one cares for the village. For it has so many resources, but still remains isolated and neglected. So here is an attempt to do something with what I have and what I can!

Here is a picture of my village from Google Map.
As you take a left at the top, the road takes you on the south side of the village almost away from the village, before taking an acute turn into the center. Finally another left turn will take you out of the village. As you exit, before the pond on the left is my school, where I studied in 3rd standard.
Now a bus routh bring people right into the village. We had to walk 10 kilometers (6 miles) from Joranda. It was reduced to 1.6 Kilometers (1 mile) from Kaluria.

No comments:

Post a Comment